Monday, November 4, 2013

My medical emergency- true story- May 2013 __________ Correctional Facility, _________ Co


 My husband sent me this story shortly after I moved to here. (apparently can't post where, they get cranky). He had been at that facility for about 5 weeks when I moved there. He did not mention how bad this particular episode of gout had been but when I read his version of what happened I cried. How can this treatment be legal? I hope as you read this, especially if you are an officer in a correctional facility, please be more compassionate than the officers at ________.
Diana Linville
written June 2013

GOUT!

The word alone causes grown men to cringe with pain. Those who are fortunate enough to avoid this condition have no understanding how painful swollen joints feel. Gout has been a part of my life off and on for almost twenty years. Over the course of this time I have learned to discern the warning signs of a flare-up. There is a strange tightness as the joint begins to fill with a yellowish opaque fluid rich in uric acid. Gout usually attacks the knee, ankle, and big toe, but not all at the same time.

The last gout attack came on quickly. Normally a dose of 750mg of naproxen would arrest the swelling and then 500 mg every twelve hours would resolve the attack. Unfortunately I didn’t have any naproxen. Two weeks before I used my last pill I began to order more pills but they were out of stock. Now a month later they are still out of stock.

The first morning of the attack I woke up in extreme pain. The gout was flaring up in my knee, ankle and big toe. They were all swollen to about twice their normal size. I tried to get down from the top bunk but my leg would not bend on its own. Grabbing the leg I forced the knee to bend and on a pain scale of 1 to 10 that move created a solid 10. Using upper body strength and one good leg I was able to get down the ladder onto the cold floor. The cold felt good.

Hobbling the meter across from the bunk to the circular metal stool attached to the desk proved to be difficult and painful. Taking a deep breath and thinking pleasant thoughts always seem to help situations. My mind filled with wonderful images of my beautiful curvy wife and my great love for her. After sitting at the desk for a while the pain subsided to an 8. The only foot wear that would fit over the painful swollen joints was a pair of black plastic shower shoes. After struggling to get them on I stood up. My leg was like a fence post, stiff and unbending. Stepping out into the hallway I placed my hands on either side to brace myself. Inch by inch I hobbled down to the end and slowly limped across the dayroom to the guard station. After explaining my situation to an uncaring guard I declared the situation a medical emergency. In prison if you can’t get out of harm’s way and can’t think clearly due to overwhelming pain you are a target waiting to be victimized. The guard called medical, no answer. He made a few more calls and discovered they were all in a meeting. I would have to wait until they were done; it should be about an hour, it was clear the guard had never had gout. There was a green plastic chair about five feet from the guard station door and I dragged myself to it and plopped down. My hip was now hurting from the unusual angle I had used to hobble along. I put my head back on the cold concrete wall, closed my eyes and filled my thoughts of my loving wife. Upon opening my eyes and looking at the clock at the guard station an hour had somehow passed. Using my arms and one good leg I stood up and limped slowly to the guard door. The guard looked up at me and without saying a word he pickup up the phone and dialed while I propped myself in the doorway. When medical answered he told them my condition and said “he is declaring a medical emergency”. He listened and then relayed a message that said there were not accepting my emergency. I asked the guard how I could be denied. The rules clearly state I can declare an emergency if I wanted to pay $5. He relays another message and asked me if I have turned in a kite. A kite is a request for services. If you have a headache or sore muscle or sore throat you can request help by turning in a kite. A day or two after you turn in the kite they post a notice in the dayroom acknowledging receipt. Then another day or two later they will post the day and time of your appointment. A kite is not for an emergency. And this was clearly an emergency.

I told the guard I hadn’t. He listened to the person on the phone and told me to fill out a kite. The box to turn in the kite is about 150 yards from the unit. There is no way for me to walk that distance. The guard started to explain that to her but she hung up on him. The guard turned to me and went on a verbal defensive. I held out my arms in a universal stop gesture and told him to slow down. I explained my anger was not directed at him. I appreciated all he had done but I had a problem and I needed help finding a solution. He smiled and called the lieutenant. When the lieutenant arrived the guard apprised him of the situation. The Lieutenant told me he could not make the nurse see me. I told him I was declaring an emergency. He restated the position of not accepting my emergency. He told me I needed to turn in a kite. He handed me a kite and told me he would turn it in for me since I couldn’t make it to the box. I filled out the kite and then I made my way awkwardly back down the long hallway to my room. I dropped down on the desk stool because there was no way for me to get back up on the top bunk.

By making a pile of books and papers I created a place I could lay my head on my desk. I either passed out or went to sleep. When I opened my eyes there was a call to chow over the intercom. In order to get to chow you must walk a partial circle about 150 yards to the chow hall. After eating you must continue on around the circle and return to your unit; a total distance of 1/3 of a mile. There was no way I could walk that far as I had extreme difficulty getting to the end of the hall. Even if it would have been possible to walk that far it still would have been impossible to go. The chow hall requires wearing boots or athletic shoes and my feet were too swollen to get either one on. I did manage to get down the hall to the restroom. Upon returning to the cell the pain scale was now at a good 9, I sat down at the desk and went back to sleep.

I spent the night at the desk getting up only to use the restroom. At 2:30 pm the following afternoon they called me to go to medical. My feet are size 11.5 and my boots are a size 12. They don’t sell half sizes in the larger boots. The swelling of my feet was now down enough to squeeze into the boot. It was very tight and if it were possible it made my foot hurt worse.

It took 30 minutes to get to medical, normally a walk that would take 5 minutes if you walked slowly. After a short wait the nurse came out to get me and we slowly walked back to her office. She asked a lot of questions that were answered in my file, but I humored her. She asked me what I took for gout. Since DOC has been giving me the medication for the past 8 years it seemed a silly question, but I told her naproxen. She told me I could have 500mg twice a day at Medline. She would not give me any to keep in my cell because they wanted us to buy our own off the canteen list. I explained how I have tried for weeks but she didn’t care. I reminded her to get to Medline required walking 1/3 of a mile twice a day. She told me if I really wanted the medicine I would get there. It was clear she had never had gout and unclear why she was a nurse.

I spent the night at my desk and got up the next morning and made my way to the dayroom. Medical had told me to go to Medline before going to breakfast. When they called chow I slowly made my way around to Medline. When I finally arrived the guard asked my unit number. I told her and she said she hadn’t called that unit and I would have to return to my unit. I explained what was going on and I told her I was going to Medline before chow. She told me there was a separate call for Medline and I would have to return to the unit. She was unsympathetic regarding the pain in my leg. I arrived back to my unit having completed 1/3 mile. When I got back to my unit I asked the guard when they would call Medline. He explained that Medline had been called and was now closed. The next Medline would be 7pm. After explaining my dilemma he said he would call medical but it would be in an hour, they were all in a meeting.

I returned to my cell, put my head down on my desk and passed out. At 7 pm I successfully navigated the labyrinth and received 500mg of naproxen. Twice each day I would be required to walk 1/3 mile. Pain overruled hunger as by the time I arrived at Medline the time frame for my unit to go to chow was closed, but turns out that’s a good thing because naproxen should be taken on an empty stomach to get the greatest benefit. It took three days before I could actually walk and another week before I actually felt ok.

Most US citizens believe inhumane treatment only happens to prisoners in third world countries. They believe the only way you are mistreated in the United States prisons is if you deserve it. That is just not true. Our prisons are horrible places. The uneducated guards take advantage of the power they weld to be as abusive as possible. There are a few guards who are compassionate, but not many. Most of the guards work in a prison because they aren’t employable in the real world. It doesn’t take long to figure out why. Withholding medical treatment is inhumane. It is cruel and unusual punishment. Someone once said you can tell the problems of a society, not by the behavior of those they incarcerate, but the behaviors of those who guard the incarcerated.
Todd

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment